Edward Jones Applicant Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice explains how we use the Personal Information that we hold on United States employment applicants, and the rights you may have in relation to that Personal Information. In particular, this Privacy Notice applies to situations where the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) governs the way Edward Jones collects and uses Personal Information in the context of an application for employment. Although the CCPA applies specifically to the Personal Information of individuals who are residents of California, Edward Jones may as a courtesy extend some of the CCPA’s rights to residents of the United States more broadly.
Last updated: January 1, 2020
I. Purpose of Notice
We collect and process your information during the employment application process, and this notice:
- Sets out the types of Personal Information we collect about you;
- Explains where we collect Personal Information about you from, including information about collection of Personal Information online;
- Explains how and why we collect and use your Personal Information;
- Explains with whom we will share your Personal Information;
- Explains the different rights and choices you have when it comes to your Personal Information; and
- Explains how you can contact us.
II. Personal Information Collected
Over the course of your application process, it is routine for us to collect, process, and store Personal Information about you.
Personal Information means information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular individual. It does not include deidentified or aggregate information or public information lawfully available from governmental records.
We may have collected, and disclosed to our third-party service providers for business purposes, the following categories of Personal Information about you:
- Names, social security number, gender, marital status, date and place of birth, nationality, citizenship, and contact information at home and at work;
- Education information and information about your experience/other qualifications for employment, including information provided by previous employers and other references, information gathered while conducting a background check, including criminal and litigation history, or consumer credit reports in accordance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act;
- Unique and online identifiers – IP addresses, device IDs, or other similar identifiers;
- Information about how you use our websites such as browsing history, search history, and information regarding your interaction with an internet website, application, or advertisement;
- Information about your investment activities as required by law and regulation;
- Email communication may be reviewed, monitored, or acted upon by Edward Jones associates;
- Geolocation information; and
- Inferences drawn from Personal Information, such as individual profiles, preferences, and characteristics.
III. Cookies and Other Forms of Online Information Collection
Using IP addresses, we can determine the domain names of Internet service providers (ISPs) used to access an Edward Jones recruiting website. These domain names do not personally identify visitors. This means that your visit to our recruiting website is logged but remains anonymous.
We may collect certain information from your browser, such as your media access control (MAC) address, device type, screen resolution, operating system version and Internet browser type and version. We use this information to ensure that our websites function properly and for security reasons. Pixel Tags, Web Beacons, Clear GIFs, or Other Technologies may be used with some of our web pages and HTML-formatted email messages to measure the effectiveness of our communications and success of our marketing campaigns. We may also use these technologies to compile statistics about usage and response rates and to help us resolve visitor questions about using our website.
For your convenience, our website may contain links to other websites. This does not imply any affiliation with, or an endorsement, authorization, sponsorship or promotion of a non-Edward Jones website or its owner. Edward Jones accepts no responsibility for the content, products or services provided on linked websites. If you choose to access such non-Edward Jones websites, you do so at your own risk, and you should be aware that those websites are governed by their own terms and conditions and privacy policies.
The financial advisor application and the form to request a financial advisor information kit are secured using encryption while in transit. Other messages or forms sent on our recruiting website are not encrypted or otherwise secured.
IV. Sources of Collection of Personal Information
In addition to the information collected directly from you and your devices, we may collect information about you from other sources. Edward Jones may check your references, collect personal information about you from a third party or outside source, or verify personal information you provide to us. For example, to protect our customers, Edward Jones performs various background screens before making any hiring decisions. By providing the names of your references and their contact information, and by submitting your application, you are consenting to the use and disclosure of your Personal Information in this manner. We may conduct drug or alcohol testing only with your knowledge and consent.
V. Use of Personal Information
Edward Jones limits the collection and processing of personal information to that which is fair, lawful, relevant to, and not excessive for, the purposes of:
- Operating and planning for the operations of our business;
- Improving our website, developing marketing, monitoring website performance, and better meeting user needs;
- Making recruitment or employment decisions;
- Fulfilling our obligations as an employer;
- Establishing, asserting, or defending our legal rights or obtaining legal advice;
- Preventing or detecting fraudulent or other unlawful activities;
- Complying with laws, regulations, or valid legal process;
- Achieving other important employment-related purposes (e.g., equal opportunities monitoring); and
- In appropriate circumstances, cooperating with regulatory authorities, including governmental bodies and self-regulatory organizations, as required or permitted by law or for reasons of substantial public interest.
VI. Sharing of Personal Information
In appropriate circumstances, we may disclose your Personal Information to accomplish the goals described above. Edward Jones personnel are authorized to access your personal information only as necessary to perform their respective functions. Edward Jones discloses relevant Personal Information to contractors and vendors who perform various services such as payroll processing. These vendors and contractors are contractually obligated to protect your Personal Information.
We process your Personal Information from the references you supply, third parties, or other sources only for the purpose of making employment related decisions.
VII. Information Security
Edward Jones has implemented and maintains an information security program designed to provide reasonable security that includes physical, technical, and organizational safeguards. This program is designed to help protect your Personal Information from unauthorized access, unlawful processing, and accidental loss, destruction, or alteration. Please understand, however, that even the best security programs cannot provide a guarantee against these risks.
VIII. Your Rights in Relation to Personal Information Held by Edward Jones
You have a number of legal rights when it comes to your Personal Information, including the right to be informed about the Personal Information we collect, the purposes for which we use your Personal Information, the sources from which we collect it, who we share your Personal Information with, and why we share it.
The rights to request access to all Personal Information we may hold on you and to request that we delete certain Personal Information we maintain for HR or other employment-related purposes do not apply to applicants, employees, and other personnel at this time. However, you may have access to certain personnel details to verify the accuracy of your data, or you may have other privacy rights.
IX. Contact Us
If you have any questions about this notice, please contact the Edward Jones Human Resources Department at 1-800-440-3060.